Exploring Womanhood > Mind, Body, and Soul > Articles
Make Your Life Happier in 60 Seconds
by Kathy Gates, Professional Life Coach, www.reallifecoach.com
Years ago, when my nephew was in the Gulf War, I learned a valuable 60 second lesson about myself. I would come home from a long work day, watch the news and begin to feel overwhelmed and anxious about the news reports.
Then the phone would ring (they didnt have much email then), and it would be him in some port in Kuwait. He would be talkative, excited about his adventures, and telling us how totally safe a Navy ship was in the Gulf. In 60 seconds, my mood changed.
The lesson was that I had the power to do that myself. I could sit around and worry and be unhappy, or I could make a Conscious Choice to look for something that would bring the happiness to me.
Here are some hints if you want to do the same.
1. When life at the job gets boring and wearisome, wear something you normally wouldnt. You dont have to go overboard,
but just add that little something thats out of the ordinary. Maybe its even your snoopy underpants that nobody has to know
about but will make you giggle all day long.
2. Color is a great 60 second lifter. Drape a colorful scarf over the industrial gray chair in your office, or tie a wacky tie to your doorknob. Put a silly doll or cartoon character on top of your computer (I have baseball player miniatures on mine).
3. Laughter is the very best medicine for a 60 second lift. Find or phone a happy friend for a lift. Tell a joke of your own, or ask someone to tell you a joke. Look for something silly on the internet to make you laugh. Rent a silly movie, read the comics. Dont take life so. Laughter is available from a lot of sources.
4. Exercise is also a 60 second mood lifter. And no, it doesnt have to be long and drawn out and sweaty. If youre feeling
cranky and tired, just stand up and march in place for 60 seconds. Breathe deep, swing your arms (please close your door
first, or you may lift others moods by supplying #3 above.)
5. Research has shown that hugging and kissing are excellent 60 second lifters. I tell my husband that I always feel better
after he comes home. A hug and a kiss from someone important in your life is the best way to change a mood -- even if its the
The point of 60 second mood lifters is of course to dispel the idea that all things have to be perfect in order for you to have
a happier life. A happier life is truly just 60 seconds away from you at any given moment. Start working on your 60 seconds
Kathy Gates is a Professional Life Coach in Scottsdale AZ. I help people deal with the stress of everyday living in a more
organized and efficient manner. Get more information at my website Real Life Coach, http://www.reallifecoach.com/ and sign up for the newsletter.