Handmade Mulberry Paper Card
- 1 8.5 x 11 Yellow Mulberry Kozo Paper (heavier Mulberry paper)
- 1 12 x 12 Wheat Vellum
- Gold Thread
- Picture (photo or scanned)
- Trim unwanted portion of picture off (use it all if you like)
- Fold Mulberry Paper in half
- Cut a piece of vellum 10 x 7.5"
- Cut another piece of vellum 3.75 x 4.5" (or the right size to matte your picture and greeting)
- Print poem or message for inside of card on right half of large vellum (cut a piece of white paper 10 x 7.5" and test print on it first)
- Fold vellum in half
- Print message or greeting on small vellum for front of card the same way
- Set folded vellum inside handmade paper
- Put gold thread on a needle and sew a large 'stitch' through vellum and handmade paper on the fold to hold them together. Start at outside so you can tie the gold thread on the outside of the card. You can also sew a small stitch starting at the inside in the top corners of the vellum if you like (tie on inside). Alternatively vellum can be glued in place. Make sure you choose an adhesive that won't show through the vellum.
- Glue small piece of vellum to the front of the card. Use a glue stick or glue that won't show through the vellum. Glue picture on the vellum below the message.
VARIATIONS: There is an endless variety of cards you can make this way by using different mulberry papers and vellums.
- add stickers or other embellishments
- substitute stickers or embellishments for the picture
- have the vellum insert just on the right side of the card
- cut the mulberry paper in half for a smaller card.
- use cardstock instead of handmade paper
Visit Wendy online @ www.CanadianCountryGifts.com for folk art, candles, handmade soaps, scrapbooking supplies, Email Parties, weekly specials, a free newsletter, and more free project ideas.
If you like this article, we'd be honored if you shared it using the button below.
Visit our Crafts for Kids area of StorkNet for more terrific ideas!