Celebrate Summer With a Barbecue
(FeatureSource) Everyone likes a barbecue - the simple and hearty fare has universal appeal and is appropriate for almost every gathering. Use these flavorful and simple recipes from "The Dinner Party Cookbook" (Meadowbrook Press) to have a fun cookout!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED: 1 large loaf French bread, sliced -- 1 stick butter -- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1. Place bread slices on a cookie sheet and toast on one side under the over broiler.
2. In a saucepan or a microwave-safe container, combine butter and garlic and heat over low hear or in a microwave until melted.
3. Spread the butter mixture on untoasted sides of the bread and return the bread to the broiler, butter-side up, until golden. Serve immediately.
Tip: Before mincing garlic, sprinkle the garlic cloves with a little salt. The salt will absorb some of the garlic juice and keep the garlic from sticking to the knife.
Makes 8 servings
WHAT YOU'LL NEED: 1 cup ketchup -- 1 cup orange juice -- 1/3 cup honey -- 1/4 cup soy sauce -- 2 cloves garlic -- 1 teaspoon salt -- 1/2 teaspoon pepper -- 4 to 5 pounds pork spareribs
1. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients except spareribs; mix well to make the marinade.
2. Arrange the ribs in a shallow pan and pour the marinade on top.
3. Cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil and marinate for 8 hours or overnight.
4. Remove the ribs from the pan and place them on a preheated barbecue grill. Cook slowly, away from high heat, for about 20 to 30 minutes or until done, basting continually with remaining marinade. Serve with plenty of napkins.
Makes 8 servings
WHAT YOU'LL NEED: 3 cups watermelon chunks, seeded -- 3 tablespoons sugar -- 2 tablespoons lemon juice -- Thin watermelon wedges for garnish
1. In a blender, mix together the watermelon chunks, sugar, and lemon until slushy.
2. Pour the mixture into metal bowl and freeze for about 30 minutes.
3. Remove the bowl from the freezer and beat the mixture with an electric mixer. Repeat freezing/whipping process one or two more times before serving, until mixture reaches the desired consistency.
4. Pour the mixture into parfait glasses or dessert dishes and garnish with watermelon slices.
Makes 6 Servings
Author: FeatureSource Staff
If you like this article, we'd be honored if you shared it using the button below.